February 08, 2006

High School memories - Anna Pison Stanford

I can't place years, but these are my most vivid memories of high school:

Practicing calligraphy and forgery during Pilipino (and other) class. Ina Calalang and I used to try to forge each other's signatures, and it became a game. One of us would scrawl our signature, and the other would forge several copies around it. Then we would have to pick out our own original signature. I won the game - she once picked the wrong signature, but was never able to fool me!

Forging teachers' signatures on test pemission slips. I was too lazy to walk all over the school to find a teacher to sign a permission slip when I wanted to take a test, so I just signed a lot of them myself. Math teacher Mrs. Huab's was the easiest to forge.

China Reyes' cartoon adventures of "Joey" and "Dean". She started doing these in grade school and continued in high school. China, do you still have those notebooks?

Playing "shooting star" (usually with Lupe Romulo).

English teacher Miss Reynoso and writing poetry in her class in either 2nd or 3rd year. I still have those poems to this day.

Giving Mrs. Huab in class a math problem from my book "Mathematics for Fun" and seeing her stumped, unable to solve it. She then borrowed my book and never returned it. I found it in the library one day, stamped like a library book with the envelope pasted at the back! At least they returned it to me when I claimed it.

Those class plays we had to put on in 2nd year! Our group had to do "The World is an Apple". I was the mother, Pauline Bermejo the father, Marlou de Vera the baby.

The (I think in 1st year) class debate on the Japanese Co-Prosperity Sphere. Our team had to debate in favor of it (which put us at a disadvantage). I remember our arguments reducing Cri-Cri Alcaraz on the opposing team to an indignant huffy reply (can't remember what she said) when she couldn't come up with a rebuttal. Though their team "won", I still believe our arguments were more logical and we debated better, with cooler heads.

I have more, but I'll leave it at that for now!

1 Comments:

At February 20, 2006 8:04 AM, Blogger China said...

Omigosh...Anna, how did you ever remember "Dean"??? I dont have them anymore, they metamorphosized in to "The Princes Of Donenburg"..hahaha a comic strip about 4 princes that were granted special powers by the Gods...of course, they all looked like Dean and Joey but one had a headband, one's hair was wavy..well, you get the picture. THAT I still have and it still maked me laugh when I read it. But what a memory, Anna!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home