February 06, 2006

The Madre Mystique


Maybe it was just because I am third generation Assumption girl, after my mom (HS 1957) and my lola (HS 1936) or maybe because my lola was a teacher there, that we were close to the madres.

Growing up, I remember the “foreign” nuns, and we addressed them as Mother: Mother Immaculada, Mother Veronique, Mother Marthe. There were also the homegrown nuns like Mother Estella Infante, her sisters Mother Rose Peter and Sister Carla Teresa. There was also Mother Milagros. I got into trouble big time with her – she kissed me and I wiped it off, how ill mannered of me. I got a super scolding from lola but I loved Mother Milagros anyway. She passed away a few years ago, still devoted to Assumption in San Simon, Pampanga. There was Mother Bernarda who disappeared and left for Africa when I was a young girl. Last I heard, she’s still there. Mother Estella was co-principal with my lola and later went on to be Provincial of the Assumption. She made the most beautiful scrapbook for us after my lola died, made up of the pictures that were under the glass on her desk. I still think of that scrapbook. There was also Mother Esperanza, and Mother Angela, and Mother Carmen, and Mother Remedios, and Mother Rosario, and Mother Mercedes. Many of these nuns have passed on, I just don’t know for sure, which ones, so I dare not even try.

At some point in time, we made the shift from calling them “Mother” to “Sister.” I never knew exactly why. Mother Carolina became Sister Carolina to us. I know she passed on a few years ago, may she rest in peace. Then there was Sister Rita Imelda, Sister Gertrude, Sister Regivic. I had Mother Teresa Consuelo in Grade 3, and she is now known as Pinky Poblador. Yes, the Assumption lost many of its younger nuns to the larger society extramuros: Mother Martha became Mrs. Remia Bacaling Evaristo. Mother Jude Mary is Carmen "Pinky" Valdes of San Francisco, CA. Mother Joan Frances is now Mrs. Ann Marie Carlos in Chicago, IL. Sister Araceli is now Araceli Suzara, also somewhere in Illinois. Sister Mary Grace is Mary Grace Montelibano at the United Nations in NY.

How did I keep track of them all? Well that is the fault of my mother, who tends to look for Assumption nuns anywhere she is, and she makes sure my sis and I know who is where and what and makes us call them (which, I have to admit, we are not very good at complying with.)

When we were younger, we used to wonder if the nuns were really kalbo, as rumor had it. So we kept trying to make silip Sr. Rose Peter in Grade 1, and observed she had wisps of hair coming out of her veil. We thought maybe she was allowed, because she was just a postulant then. Speaking of Sr. Rose Peter, our family got invited to her final vows, I think it was in Antipolo Church. It was quite a moving and beautiful ceremony, as she became the bride of Christ, but not enough to move me to ever desire donning the purple habit myself. I think I steeled myself to reject such notions at an early age since I had this line “Monique, will you be one of us someday?” whispered in my ear one time too many by one of the nuns (Mother Milagros, forgive me, but I think it was you.)

We used to wonder as children if they ever took their veils off, if they wore nightgowns to sleep just like the rest of us, how hot it got under that habit, if they were allowed to use deodorant and shampoo, if they missed their own families while they lived in the convent. I don’t think I ever discovered the answers to those questions and maybe I shouldn’t. Maybe the answers to the mysteries should only be given to those who actually say yes to the “calling.”

Now I can tell you they are not bald. They don’t even wear veils anymore, how shocking is that! (Don’t know how it is in Manila, over here, no more veils.) And this side of the globe, the “habit” is a purple suit jacket and skirt! Last May, I attended the ordination of one of my cousins in Philadelphia, such a rare occasion nowadays. To my delight, coming out of the church, I spotted eggplant and lo and behold, two Assumption nuns in attendance: Sister Cecilia Hervas and Sister Loreto Mapa. We had a nice time saying hello and chatting after all these years at the luncheon that followed. Of course, now that I have seen them bareheaded, my inquiring mind still wants to know if they use rollers or blow dryers, or ever use Clairol to cover the gray…

So after years of thinking I was tired of Assumption (could not wait to get out of there, was arrogant enough to not even apply to Assumption College), I realized I missed that purple habit. The purple habit is a good habit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home